Welcome to the ASVZ
The ASVZ offers all university members an attractive and varied sports program, which offers plenty of opportunities to discover new activities but also includes old favorites. The ASVZ is all about people, the joy of exercise, fitness, work/study-life balance and improving the quality of life.
- The ASVZ program is available exclusively to university staff, students and alumni.
- Membership always lasts for one year.
- Students have to revalidate their student IDs at their universities' validation machines before the start of each semester.
More than 120 sports – for mind, body and soul. At the ASVZ you are bound to find an activity that suits you. By the way: Besides a program including more than 120 sports, we also offer counseling services in various areas. You can look up our counseling services by going to "Sportangebot" and clicking on "Beratung".
Go to the sports program ...
Sports associations and the Sports Department of the City of Zurich
There are 21 sports associations affiliated with the ASVZ which cover high-performance and competitive sports in particular. If you would like to practice your sport on a more ambitious level or if the ASVZ tournaments are not performance-oriented enough for you, then you have the possibility of joining one of these sports associations.
Go to sports associations ...
The website of the Sports Department of the City of Zurich features a list of more than 500 sports associations, sport schools and public gym halls.
Go to the Sports Department of the City of Zurich ...
At the Sport Centers Polyterrasse, Hönggerberg, Irchel, Fluntern, Winterthur and at the strength and cardio center in Wädenswil, you have access to various sports areas with weight and cardio training equipment as well as functional zones for individual training. Please note:
- In general, you do not need to make any reservations for individual training.
- Please check the information and opening times for each Sport Center.
- You can find an overview of individual training possibilities on the ASVZ website at asvz.ch/kraftcardio
Classes are included in the annual fee and generally take place at the same time every week (subject to change during holidays). Please note:
- New participants can join in anytime. Regular participation is not required.
- Classes can take the form of instructed group exercises, games or free play (without an instructor).
- Class cancellations are announced on the ASVZ website and the ASVZ app.
- For some classes, you have to reserve your spot online beforehand.
When this is the case, it is indicated on the ASVZ website and the ASVZ app.
Some activities are limited in time and have participation fees. These include courses, camps, workshops, meetups as well as events/tournaments. Please note:
- You must always sign up at an ASVZ office or online in order to take part in these activities.
- Some activities, such as mountain sports, climbing, tennis, and sailing, are very popular and are booked up quickly. To increase your chances of getting a spot, find out about the booking details ahead of time and be ready when booking opens.
The highlights of the ASVZ calendar are the following big annual events, which grow more popular year by year. These events require registration.
- SOLA relay race – teams of 14 run a total of 116 km in and around Zurich. Takes place in May.
- Lecture series "Sport & …" – exponents from the worlds of business, science and culture discuss sport in the context of a particular topic. Takes place once every semester.
- Sports Week > one week even more ASVZ. Takes place in September.
- UNI–POLY rowing regatta – the prestigious rowing competition between ETH and the University of Zurich. Takes place in November.
- Volleynight – a fun, night-long volleyball tournament. Takes place in December.
The UNI–POLY rowing regatta is particularly interesting to watch, as it allows a more close-up experience than most other regattas. The competing teams are selected by the universities.
- The sports activities take place at the ASVZ Sport Centers Polyterrasse, Hönggerberg, Irchel, Fluntern, and Winterthur, at the strength and cardio center in Wädenswil, at facilities belonging to the city or the canton, and out of doors.
- We are at your service at the ASVZ desks in the Sport Centers.
Before you can sign up for activities or events through the website or the ASVZ app, you need to register at schalter.asvz.ch.
Signing up for classes
- Classes that require reservation are marked accordingly on the website and the ASVZ app.
- Check about times and places ahead of time.
- Click on the "Einschreiben" button to sign up for the desired class.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail containing your booking number. Make a note of this number, as you will need it at the start of the class.
- If you are unable to attend, you need to cancel your booking within the correct notice period for the sport in question.
- If you do not attend or do not cancel on time, we reserve the right to exclude you from further online bookings for 10 days.
Signing up for other activities
- Decide ahead of time what you want to sign up for and find out about the booking details and required documents on the website or the ASVZ app.
- Have the required documents ready before you sign up.
- Find out about alternative activities ahead of time, in case your desired activity is fully booked.
- The sign-up button is activated at 10 a.m. on the day that booking opens.
We want our program and infrastructure to meet the needs and expectations of our members.
You are expected to adhere to the following rules:
- always use a towel
- wear clean shoes and socks
- use the lockers and don't bring your bags into the sports halls
- always put back weights
- do not drop any sports equipment
- clean the equipment when you're done (free it up after max. 30 min at busy times)
- do not take breaks on the equipment
- You can buy padlocks for the lockers at any ASVZ desk or at the vending machine at the Sport Center Polyterrasse (beside the facility management office) for CHF 10.
- The ASVZ desks offer fairly priced sport items and merchandise, including sport socks, t-shirts and athletic shorts, sport and shower towels, shower gels and water bottles, sports and shoe bags, blackrolls, and power banks to charge your smartphone
- If you lose something, ask the facility staff whether your item has been handed in.