Welcome to the ASVZ
The ASVZ offers all university members an attractive and varied sports program, which offers plenty of opportunities to discover new activities but also includes old favorites. The ASVZ is all about people, the joy of exercise, fitness, work/study-life balance and improving the quality of life.
- The ASVZ program is available exclusively to university students, staff and alumni.
- Membership always lasts for one year.
- The digital ASVZ card for students is valid as long as the enrolment at the university or a SWITCH account is valid.
- All other members will find their digital ASVZ Card in the ASVZ app after payment of their annual fee.
The ASVZ sportsprogram is based on a superordinate protection concept (German only) as well as on a protection concept for sports facilities that is tailored to it. Sports-specific information is published on the corresponding sports pages.
The following general rules apply:
- The distance and hygiene regulations of the FOPH must be observed.
- The valid online registration must be able to be presented at any time.
- Admission max. 10 minutes before the start of the training; it is best if you show up already wearing your training dress.
- Masks must be worn outside the sports rooms and cloakrooms.
- It is recommended to carry a hand disinfectant.
- You should leave the facility quickly after the end of training (use of cloakroom max. 10 minutes) and shower at home if possible.
- Note: In sports, the minimum distance cannot be maintained at all times. If you fall below the minimum distance, the risk of infection increases.
- Failure to comply with the requirements may result in a 30-day exclusion from the ASVZ.
Click here (german only) for further important information on ASVZ sportsprogram due to Covid-19.
More than 120 sports – for mind, body and soul. At the ASVZ you are bound to find an activity that suits you. By the way: Besides a program including more than 120 sports, we also offer counseling services in various areas. You can look up our counseling services by going to «Sportangebot» and clicking on «Beratung».
Go to the sports program ...
Sports associations and the Sports Department of the City of Zurich
There are 21 sports associations affiliated with the ASVZ which cover high-performance and competitive sports in particular. If you would like to practice your sport on a more ambitious level or if the ASVZ tournaments are not performance-oriented enough for you, then you have the possibility of joining one of these sports associations.
Go to sports associations ...
The website of the Sports Department of the City of Zurich features a list of more than 500 sports associations, sport schools and public gym halls.
Go to the Sports Department of the City of Zurich ...
At the Sport Centers Polyterrasse, Hönggerberg, Irchel, Fluntern, and Winterthur as well as the strength and cardio center in Wädenswil, you have access to various training areas with weight and cardio training equipment as well as functional zones for individual training. Please note:
- You can find an overview of our fitness centers on the
ASVZ website at asvz.ch/fitness
- Please check the information and opening times for each Sport Center.
- Due to Covid-19, training slots are offered in the fitness sector for which you must register online in advance. The valid online registration must be presented in the training rooms at any time.
Classes are included in the annual fee and generally take place at the same time every week (subject to change during holidays). Please note:
- New participants can join in anytime. Regular participation is not required.
- Classes can take the form of instructed group exercises, games or free play (without an instructor).
- Class cancellations are announced on the ASVZ website and the ASVZ app.
- Due to Covid-19, prior online registration is required for all ASVZ offers. The valid online registration must be presented at any time.
Some activities are limited in time and have participation fees. These include courses, camps, workshops, meetups as well as events/tournaments. Please note:
- You must always sign up at an ASVZ office or online in order to take part in these activities.
- Some activities, such as mountain sports, climbing, tennis, and sailing, are very popular and are booked up quickly. To increase your chances of getting a spot, find out about the booking details ahead of time and be ready when booking opens.
The highlights of the ASVZ calendar are the following big annual events, which grow more popular year by year. These events require registration.
- SOLA relay race – teams of 14 run a total of 116 km in and around Zurich. Takes place in May.
- Lecture series «Sport & …» – exponents from the worlds of business, science and culture discuss sport in the context of a particular topic. Takes place once every semester.
- Sports Week > a week of even more ASVZ offers. Takes place once a year.
- UNI–POLY rowing regatta – the prestigious rowing competition between ETH and the University of Zurich. Takes place in November.
- Volleynight – a fun, night-long volleyball tournament. Takes place in December.
The UNI–POLY rowing regatta is particularly interesting to watch, as it allows a more close-up experience than most other regattas. The competing teams are selected by the universities.
- The sports activities take place at the ASVZ Sport Centers Polyterrasse, Hönggerberg, Irchel, Fluntern, and Winterthur, at the strength and cardio center in Wädenswil, at facilities belonging to the city or the canton, and out of doors.
- We are at your service at the ASVZ desks in the Sport Centers Polyterrasse and Winterthur.
At asvz.ch and on the ASVZ app for iOS and Android, you will find a clear and compact overview of the latest news and all the information you need on the ASVZ sports program and facilities.
The ASVZ app is your day-to-day tool that gives you a simple and up-to-date overview of all our sports activities. You can use the star button to add classes or courses/camps etc. to your favorites, which creates your personal sport schedule on the app’s home page. Signing up for classes online is quick and easy with the app: once you’ve logged into your profile in the app settings, you can sign up with just one click.
Logging into the ASVZ app has another advantage: if you own a physical ASVZ Card, you no longer have to bring it along, because your digital ASVZ Card on the home page serves as your identification, even offline.
Go to the Apple app store ... | Go to the Google Play store ...
Would you like to receive news, useful information and inspiring articles directly in your inbox? About four times a year, we send out an ASVZ info e-mail with the latest important news relating to the ASVZ. Sign up at asvz.ch/infomail
Welcome, likers! On Facebook and Instagram, we share interesting facts about the ASVZ world, live the ASVZ spirit online, and look behind the scenes of the ASVZ. Like us on @asvz.official and facebook.com/asvz.official
We consider sports and the ASVZ to be an opportunity to get to know the local culture and language. For this reason, we generally communicate only in German.
Before you can sign up for activities or events through the website or the ASVZ app, you need to register beforehand (oder in advance) at schalter.asvz.ch. Only after successful registration can you sign up online for lessons or other offers such as courses, camps, etc.
Signing up for classes and training slots at Fitness
- Classes and training slots that require regestration are marked accordingly on the website and the ASVZ app.
- Check about times and places ahead of time.
- Click on the «Einschreiben» button to register for the desired class.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail containing your registration number. You will also see your registration for the specific class in the ASVZ app.
- If you are unable to attend or cannot attend in time, you need to cancel your registration within the correct notice period for the sport in question.
- If you are not present at the start of the lesson, your place will be released and you will no longer be entitled to it.
- We also reserve the right to exclude you from the possibility of online registration in this sport for a period of eight days. All your online registration in the respective sport for this period will be automatically deleted.
Signing up for other activities
- Decide ahead of time what you want to sign up for and find out about the booking details and required documents on the website or the ASVZ app.
- Have the required documents ready before you sign up.
- Find out about alternative activities ahead of time, in case your desired activity is fully booked.
- The sign-up button is activated at 10 a.m. on the day that booking opens.
In addition to on-site ASVZ activities, we offer several ways for you to stay fit with the ASVZ outside of the sports facilities. Not only do our livestream classes bring the sport to your home, but also the vibe. Even more independently you can train with our «on-demand» sports offers. These are permanently available in our video library in order that you can train when, where and how often you want. In the ASVZ training app, we also provide you with dozens of training exercises with which you can put together your own training plan.
We want our program and infrastructure to meet the needs and expectations of our members.
You are expected to adhere to the following rules:
- Always use a hand towel. Cover sitting/lying surfaces with a hand towel.
- Clean sports clothes must be worn for training, no street clothes, no street shoes.
- Leave bags and street clothes in lockers.
- Return weights and small equipment to storage after use.
- Never drop weights (it is strictly prohibited).
- Clean seats/hand grips after use.
- Vacate equipment between series.
- You can buy padlocks for the lockers at the ASVZ desk or at the vending machine at the Sport Center Polyterrasse (beside the facility management office) for CHF 10 or you bring your own padlock.
- The ASVZ desks offer fairly priced sport items and merchandise, including sport socks, t-shirts and athletic shorts, sport and shower towels, shower gels and water bottles, sports and shoe bags, blackrolls, and power banks to charge your smartphone
- If you lose something, ask the facility staff whether your item has been handed in.